Thursday, September 29, 2005

garden state

Garden State- in addition to being a great movie, it is also the view from the apartment of my job #2. Each Thursday I meet two kids on the corner of Broadway, walk them home, then hang out with them until their parents get home. Even though they are age 8 and 9 and technically it is babysitting, I don't really like to call it that. It seems demeaning to both them and me.
The first time I visited the apartment was at night for the interview. I only made it as far as the dining room. But today I walked in and found it to be a great New York apartment. Located on the 7th floor, the west windows overlook the Hudson River and the Jersey shoreline. The view is AWESOME. The kids told me the sunsets are amazing. I can only imagine they would be.
Today was my first day at this new job. While hanging out on the corner of Broadway, a girl I know passed by. The same thing happened to me yesterday. It seems to me that the odds of someone I know passing by on a crowded street in New York City would be fairly low. But this sort of thing happens, even in one of the biggest cities in the world.
I successfully met both kids, then began the short walk home. Our walk home included a stop in a neighborhood mom and pop type of store where the kids got afternoon snacks. Although their apartment is only 10 blocks from where I live and just 3 blocks from the bus stop, I worry about how I'll manage this job of waiting on the corner when winter arrives. Today felt chilly, and it was only in the 70s.
Once at the apartment, I retrieved the key from the doorman. Yes, it's true. There is a doorman at the building. The rest of my time with kids included helping with homework, playing a math game, reading books. The parents would like me to be both active and interactive with the kids. So, I suggested we go to the nearby park before beginning dinner. I was surprised when they actually said yes. They played on the monkey bars, showed me their acrobatic skills, then we all played tag. Once back home, I started dinner. I know, I'm sounding very domestic. The rest of the evening involved spinning the Twister spinner, playing Go Fish, then straightening the apartment. When the parents arrived home the kids were showered, in bed reading, and impressed by my review of our first day. What can I say? I guess I really am destined to work with kids. Tomorrow I go back to job #1 at the school in Harlem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home