Sunday, September 25, 2005

you're not from here?

Last night I went out with my Jersey friend and a big group of random people all interconnected through a web of friendships. Many of them were from my home state, but there were the few natives to represent New York and New Jersey. As I drank my Brooklyn Lager, I mingled and talked with various people part of this random group. There was the usual first conversation topics covered: where are you from, what do you do, how long have you been in New York? Finally, I found myself engaged in a normal and casual conversation: we discussed what type of 'clothing style' we find attractive on the opposite sex. This conversation involved two guys, a girl and me. The girl and I agreed that a good pair of jeans on a guy is worth noticing. Okay, so the conversation was kind of random, but then again, I like random conversations.
It turns out that 3 out of the 4 people are from the area. I was the 1 not. But there was surprise among the group when I told them. The girl said that she would have thought I was from New York. Apparently I give off that New York vibe. This was the best compliment. I attributed my city saviness to living in Bangkok for 2 years. Because if you can live in Bangkok, I'm pretty sure you can live anywhere.
I left the bar feeling pretty good about my New York attitude. I felt a little less confident when I got to the subway and saw the uptown train I needed wasn't running. A sign instructed me to take the downtown train to Jay Street, then make the transfer uptown. I didn't see a Jay Street anywhere on my map. Unnerved by the thought of ending up in Brooklyn at 1am by myself, I decided to take a train to a stop that was on my map. So I waited for that train. And waited. Once at the next station, I had to make the uptown transfer. I missed the train I needed and had to wait. Once again, I was waiting for a very long time. I took the long-awaited train to Times Square where I had to do another transfer. Which, of course, involved more waiting. At this point, I had been underground for well over an hour.
I am happy to say that I successfully navigated all the subways and transfers and finally made it home at 2am. Nearly two hours after being told that I could pass for a New Yorker. It was quite an accomplishment: both the compliment and the subway navigation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home