Monday, September 19, 2005

playing games

I like games. Scrabble with C.T. is a favorite. I also enjoy Gin Rummy while traveling with friend A. Plus all the classic games most of us played as kids: Monopoly, Clue, Life. I also like games of risk. Blackjack has long been a favorite. And last March I discovered the fun of Texas Hold 'Em. Then this summer I learned how to play Craps, despite all the confusing rules and strategies and the fast pace.
There is one game of risk I don't like: the dating game.
Boy and Girl meet. Boy and Girl seem to like each other. Everything gets complicated.
I recently realized why I don't like the dating game- we all play by our own rules. I like dating. I don't mind the risks that are involved in dating. But I don't like the waiting and the wondering. According to my dating rules, if Boy likes me, then he should call me. Sooner rather than later. Because if Boy likes me, then it stands to reason that he would want to see me again sooner rather than later. Don't wait to call because you think you should play it cool and wait a few days. See this is how I interpret the not calling. But I will acknowledge that from a different perspective, Boy might just be busy. Or he might be worried about rejection. Or he might have lost my phone number. The list of possibilities are endless.
When I play a game that involves risks, like Blackjack, overall I know what to do. If the dealer has less than 6 showing, then you probably don't want to take a hit. But if the dealer has 8 or more, then it is probably best to go ahead and take a hit. There are the times when the rules are a little less certain. Like when I have a 12 or the dealer has a 7. But you get the idea. And then after betting and taking the risk, you can win big or lose big. (Or little if you bet like I do).
But with dating and relationships, it's not this easy. There are no rules to help guide your risky decisions. How long do you wait for a call? When is it okay to stop waiting and call him? When do you give up because you realize he's just not into you? Is it okay to be straightforward? Or should you act more coy? The list of questions goes on.
I know there are countless books on this whole topic. I don't want to read those books because I know that in reality relationships can't be based on strategies and rules. But it seems to me it would make life a lot easier if there was some sort of dating manual. All I know is that when he does finally call, all the anxieties go away. And it makes me smile.

5 Comments:

Blogger LukeMiller said...

you should read relationship rescue by dr. phil.

12:17 PM

 
Blogger Babs said...

good luck girl. once you get the dating rules - help me figure our what the marriage rules are.

3:00 PM

 
Blogger i am cam said...

no to the dr. phil.

i did find a book by the following title-
Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Dating and Sex
maybe i do need a survival handbook.

i can't believe the two comments came from people who are married. i guess that gives me hope that somehow we figure out the rules. not that i'm saying marriage is the point of the game. i'd just like a date.

4:07 PM

 
Blogger j-lay said...

i too wish there were common rules.

12:26 PM

 
Blogger linz said...

I read He's Just Not That Into You by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo when I saw it on Oprah. He wrote for Sex and the City so he can be trusted. I will never be the same again!

10:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home