Wednesday, September 28, 2005

an ordinary day... that's not so ordinary

After watching LOST, I felt inspired to go to the gym. Much of today was spent sitting, and I was motivated to do something active. Even if it was just walking around the track for 30 minutes. Which is exactly what I did.
This morning I woke up and enjoy the vanilla coffee that my suitemate had made. After several weeks of saying we need a coffee pot, one was finally purchased. Now we can have brewed coffee any time. Now that I'm a student again, I feel I'm drinking coffee by the gallons. It's the only way to make it through all the readings I have each week.
After the cup of coffee and waiting for the shower (a drawback to suite living), I went to the campus computer lab to print out this week's reading. I'm pretty sure I left with a small tree in my book bag. In an effort to effectively utilize my time, I went to the campus cafe to get another cup of coffee and read an article or two. I read one and a half before I had to leave.
Today was a brown bag lunch for the Policy Student Network. Considering I'm taking a policy class and will be attending the Policy Institute in Washington, D.C. this January, I decided to attend. Today's speaker, Sharon Lynn Kagan, is also the director of the Institute, so it is good for me to begin making connections with her.
Sharon Lynn Kagan Awarded the Harold W. McGraw, Jr. Prize in Education

Sharon Lynn Kagan Awarded the Harold W. McGraw, Jr. Prize in Education

TC's Sharon Lynn Kagan has received the Harold W. McGraw, Jr. Prize in Education, making her the first woman to earn the nation's top three education awards: the McGraw Prize, the Council of Chief State School Officers' Distinguished Service Award, and the Education Commission of the States' James B. Conant Award.
This is currently on the Teachers College homepage. As you can see, I have the opportunity study with a woman who has amazing credentials, connections, and experience. She's advised several key policymakers, including presidents, in the last 25 years. She imparted her wisdom, expertise, and principles. As she described how she became involved in educational policy, she said, "sometimes careers are a matter of serendipity." This might have been the most meaningful part of the event for me. Because truthfully, I'm still not sure what my career plan is. But I like her idea that maybe I will discover it through coincidental good fortune. It gave me hope. Additionally, I got free lunch.
After the luncheon, I went to read more of my articles. Then I went to meet my newest employer so she could show me where to pick up her kids tomorrow and have some ease about leaving them under my care. What did I do after that? More reading, of course. The reading is never-ending. I had class at 5:10, and I was happy when we got out early. I had time to come home, fix dinner, and then read more before watching LOST.
After all the sitting and reading throughout the day, I needed to do something active. Something besides more sitting and reading. Which is what I'm going to do now before I going to bed.

1 Comments:

Blogger j-lay said...

i understand completely. thanks for continuing to share your life with us cam.

9:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home