Sunday, October 07, 2007

more than just a phone

Between the hours 1:30pm and 3:00pm on Friday afternoon, my cell phone disappeared. At first I thought maybe one of my very adorable co-workers saw it sitting out and thought it would be fun to hide it. I admit, I might do something like that. It would be a funny prank, but only if you admit pretty quickly that you simply hid the phone. No one confessed. No one pulled the phone from their desk drawer and said "here it is..."
I searched all over, around and under my desk. I was literally on my hands and knees searching. I never found it. I have no idea how it could have disappeared. I'm very reluctant to suggest that someone took it. Sure, I accused my co-workers of taking it. But that was only when I thought they were playing a prank on me.
I was pretty upset about losing my phone. I think most people thought it was because of the inconvenience it caused. I was unable to make plans with friends that night. I couldn't call anyone and no one could reach me. I suddenly felt helpless by the loss. What if my family tried to reach me? What if there was an emergency and I needed to call for help? These were among some of the thoughts going through my head as I was freaking out.
However, that phone was more than a tool for communication. It served as a memory book. As an avid text messager, that phone contained many messages that reflected important moments in my life over the past few years. Every once in a while (usually when I am on the subway and bored) I would scroll back through and read those messages. Nostalgia at its best. Most would make me laugh, some made me ponder, and others just made me shake my head and wonder "what was I thinking?"
Now the one (and only) good thing about losing my phone is that I've lost some phone numbers I really didn't need anymore.
I did get a new phone. It's pink. I don't know what I was thinking. I am not pink. Sure, it's fancy, but all day Saturday I kept sending messages like "pmk." I couldn't figure out the new messaging. The guy I was writing kept thinking I was using "text" language. I was like "idk I can't figure out this phone." LOL. Not really. I don't do that type of texting.
Anyways, I've replaced the phone. I just wish I could replace the memories stored in the old phone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home