Monday, September 10, 2007

my "type" of guy

For a while I've been telling myself and others that when it comes to men, I don't have a type. In the last two years I've dated a business school student, law student, magazine editor, fireman, coast guard officer, golfer, hockey instructor, and a loaf. I've dated tall guys and guys not much taller than myself. Some have had dark hair, others light. Some with thick hair, others with none. Blue eyes, hazel, or brown. You get my point. There has been a wide and varied range of the types of guys I've dated. So I've believed I have no type. I believed this was to my advantage. If I have no type, then every guy has the potential to be my type. This gives me a lot more options, right?

It's recently occurred to me that I do have a type. One that goes deeper than jobs or physical characteristics. I have developed a pattern of dating guys who are unavailable or inconvenient. There are a number of factors that my account for the reason these guys end up being unavailable or inconvenient- work schedule, living location, non-committal, immaturity, or simply bad-timing. All this seems to indicate that my type has been the wrong type.

Actually, the truth is that it's not my type that's wrong, just the guys I'm choosing. If I was really being honest with myself, I do have a type. One that is actually good for me. My type of guy I want to date is one who makes me laugh, but also thinks I'm funny. He's cute, but it's his personality that makes him really cute. I can feel completely comfortable with him when we're doing absolutely nothing at all. He can be serious and insightful, but also silly and carefree. He's close to his family, yet independent and adventurous. He appreciates me for me- in spite of (or because of) all my quirky traits.

I'm not saying that all or even any of the guys I recently dated have had the good qualities that are my type. So can I find a guy who is all of these things? Yes. The problem is that sometimes my good type of guy ends up being my wrong type, too- unavailable or inconvenient.
This is worse than dating the wrong guys. Trust me. It sucks.

1 Comments:

Blogger j-lay said...

Well said CAM..."My type of guy I want to date is one who makes me laugh, but also thinks I'm funny. He's cute, but it's his personality that makes him really cute. I can feel completely comfortable with him when we're doing absolutely nothing at all. He can be serious and insightful, but also silly and carefree. He's close to his family, yet independent and adventurous. He appreciates me for me- in spite of (or because of) all my quirky traits." If I wanted to, I could reword this, say it to my gf, and earn some brownie points. Lord knows I love brownies.

9:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home