Sunday, September 02, 2007

Last Weekend: Guest in the City

Thursday
Last week my former roommate came to visit me. Even though we no longer live together, I still think of her as my roommate. So for this story, I will refer to her as my roommate. She arrived in NYC Thursday night, just in time for our ritual of wine, popcorn, and Grey's Anatomy. (I'm going to miss that ritual when the new season starts.)

Friday: Part I
I took off work on Friday to play hooky. After a slow start on Friday morning spent drinking coffee and watching Grey's Anatomy on DVD, we finally headed out of my apartment. We took the subway downtown to City Hall. The plan was simple- we were going to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Nearly two years of being in the city and neither of us had walked the Brooklyn Bridge. When we still lived together, we would talk about going to do this New York activity. Then we'd decide to be lazy and just watch TV at home. So this time we made no excuses.
If you come to New York, I recommend walking the Brooklyn Bridge. Not only is it great exercise, it also provides some amazing views of the City skyline, the harbor, Statue of Liberty, and Brooklyn. Plus, when you get to Brooklyn, you can find some of the best pizza this city has to offer. (I still don't think it is the best. John's Pizza near Times Square remains the winner for me.) However, after the long walk over the bridge and the wait in the line for this pizza place, the pizza tasted pretty amazing.
Walking back across the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan made me feel a little better about all the pizza I just ate. And I had great views of the skyline the entire walk. By the time we were back to the subway, it was time to head back to my apartment to get ready for happy hour. There would be no Nacho's, but I needed my roommate to confirm a place I've found as the new Nacho's.

Friday- Part II
When we arrived at the new Nacho's, I knew it was going to be a good night. Standing at the bar was a group of NYC Firemen. I can't help. I love firemen. So I walked right up to the bar and asked if they minded if I stood there to order. If you've read my blog, you know where this is going. My roommate and I ended up chatting with these firemen, "New York's Hottest." It was a very good happy hour- frozen margaritas, cute bartenders, and hot firemen. After happy hour, we headed to the "gold coast"- a strip of bars on the upper west side that was given it's name by a friend who says you can always find a good time here. We arrived at the gold coast, bringing along one of the firemen. We ended up partying with my roommate's former work friends. Sadly the fireman had to leave to head back to Long Island. I gave him my number, but he never called. Oh well. His loss.

It was still a very fun Friday. It was filled with all of my favorite things: Grey's Anatomy, coffee, New York City moments, frozen margaritas, cheap beer, cute bartenders, hot fireman, good friends and fun times.

1 Comments:

Blogger j-lay said...

as always, it is fun to read your blog.

11:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home