Thursday, August 16, 2007

"The Disposable City": Dating in New York

I'm currently not dating anyone. I'm okay with this. It has been suggested by two close friends that perhaps I should take a break from dating for a while. When I mentioned this to another friend, she said that this is terrible advice. In fact, she has suggested I should be dating more guys. As she describes dating life in New York City, it is a "disposable city." This has been her reasoning for why I shouldn't let it bother me when guys stop calling. Likewise it is her explanation for why I should date lots of guys, not worrying about where the relationship might be going because if it doesn't work I can always find someone new.
She has a point. Since the end of December, I've consecutively dated 4 guys in a row with no breaks between each. All ended the same way- the guy just stopped calling me. For the most part, I agreed it should end. But it really annoyed me that they would just decide not to call me again. I finally figured out why this bothers me- other than the fact that I really like some sort of closure. It doesn't bother me that they don't want to keep dating me (that's their loss, not mine). What bothers me is that I would never end a dating relationship this way- and I haven't. If I realize that for whatever reason that I don't want to continue dating guy, I don't just stop answering his calls. I tell him. It's respectful. I'm just saying...
So I'm not seeing the hockey coach anymore. He stopped calling. I saw him after that. He said he'd see me later, but I knew at that moment that I'd never hear from him again. Two weeks later, I haven't.
I haven't started dating a new guy yet. I was recently told that maybe I'm having a dry spell. It's only been 2 weeks since the hockey coach. I'd hardly call this a dry spell. This is just dating in New York. I have yet to find the next guy.
All I know is that it sure would be nice if the next one stuck around for awhile. I don't want to find myself on a ferry, looking at Manhattan and asking "How can an island that small hold all [my] ex-boyfriends?"

1 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

www.whyhaventyoucalled.com

It's genius!

12:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home