Monday, June 11, 2007

where everybody knows my name

When I moved to New York City in Fall 2005, it didn't take me long to establish my regular happy hour place. In the same way that I went to Two Rows in Dallas every Wednesday for nearly 2 years, you could find me at Nacho's Kitchen (also known as Nacho Mama's) every Friday for nearly 2 years. Each week my roommate and I would gather friends to meet us for cheap margaritas and beers. Some days it would be just of the two of us. I'll even admit that a few times last summer, I went there by myself. But with each passing week, I grew to know the bartenders. Each time a new one appeared behind the bar, I made sure they knew my name, my drink, and my tab.
Over the course of time, I met other "regulars." Even the owner knew me and would indulge my special requests such as shutting off the fans or changing the TV channel.
I was a loyal customer. It paid off. There were many nights when I would get the tab and realize that the bartenders had really taken care of me. Sometimes it was giving me happy hour prices all night or leaving off a drink or two or four. I loved going there. If you visited me in New York, then I probably took you to Nacho's. You can't deny, they made an excellent frozen margarita.
I met my friend Julie for drinks on Thursday before our book club. I, of course, suggested we go to Nacho's. Surprisingly I hadn't been there the week before. The bartender asked where I had been. He then proceeded to tell me that Nacho's was closing on Sunday. I asked why it would be closed on Sunday. He corrected me- not closed on Sunday, closing on Sunday. Forever.
What?
Turns out, Nacho's has been sold and will be an organic restaurant. I'm pretty sure they don't sell margaritas in organic restaurants. So now what am I supposed to do?
I went back to Nacho's Friday night and before I even sat at the bar, there was a margarita in front of me. That is what I'm going to miss. Nacho's was to me what Cheers was to Norm. It was a place for me to stop by and have drinks with friends. It was my place. I didn't even take guys I dated there unless I knew that it was starting to get serious. They were my people.
I'm going to miss my people and my place. I guess I'll just have to find a new place with new people. Preferably on the upper east side... with cheap margaritas and beer. And where everybody knows my name...

1 Comments:

Blogger LukeMiller said...

crazy. i'm reading a book by a guy who used to wait tables at nacho mama's in nyc. now he runs dogfish head brewery.

10:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home