Saturday, April 07, 2007

accepting my inner charlotte

I turned 28 this week. Another year older and inevitably I've faced a period of reflection in my life. At 18, my future looked very different from my reality now. If my 18 year old self met my 28 year old self, the two would have very little in common. What happened to the girl who planned to be married and start a family by age 26 or 26?
I opened myself up to all the possibilities life has to offer. I learned to take risks and abandon regrets. I discovered a passion for experiencing new things and stepping beyond what is comfortable and familiar. I uncovered a confidence that has allowed me to do all of these things.
And so, at 28 I am a single woman living in New York City. As the women of Sex and the City taught us, you can be single and fabulous as long as you have good friends. The past year and half in the city, I've tapped into a Samantha side I never knew I had. I've realized that there are lots of interesting men in this city. I can date them, but I don't need them to make me happy or complete me. I maintain my independence.
My approach to the New York dating scene has lacked the cynicism of Miranda, but fostered the reflectiveness of Carrie. With each guy I meet and date, I find myself wondering what I really want. Is there some remaining trace of my 18 year old self? Some part of me that wants to eventually get married and start my own family?
I don't know the answer. I do know that lately I've been wanting a relationship to last longer than a month or two. I'm disappointed my relationship with the last guy ended. I really liked him, and I thought I might actually get a break from the dating scene. Instead, I'm back out there looking for a guy who realizes I am pretty fabulous. As Charlotte said, "I'm exhausted. Where is he?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home