Monday, February 26, 2007

I'm on "vacation" this week

Actually, I'm not really on vacation. I'm not even eligible for vacation time for another 63 days.
I'm in Baltimore this week. On business. Who knew I would end up in a job that would involve "business trips?" I certainly never anticipated being in such a position. Maybe that is why I was so eager to go when the prospect was first presented to me. After all, I love to travel. Being in grad school the past year and half severly limited my travels. So when my boss mentioned she and the big boss wanted to send me to Baltimore for a conference, I eagerly agreed to go. The best part? They are paying my expenses- hotel, travel, meals, taxis, etc. I can't remember the last time I was actually concerned about "getting a receipt."
I arrived in Baltimore Friday evening. My original plan was to have a certain guy I've been seeing meet me in Baltimore to do some sight-seeing. But when he cancelled due to his own work, I found it to be a serendipitous result. Even though I called on Thursday night, my friend who lives in DC was available to take the train up to hang out with me. I haven't seen her since August. We went out to dinner Friday night, then spent Saturday enjoying sight-seeing around Fell's Point and just doing some long overdue "catching up."
My conference started at 8:30am on Sunday morning. Since my office sent me here to do "fact-finding" and research (my office will be partnering to host the conference in 2008), I had to be there bright and early. I have to admit, even though it was early, I ws eager to attend. The conference topics are very much in line with my own interests. Also, working on Sunday means I'll be able to be off next Friday when I'm flying back to Texas for a wedding.
Today was Day 2 of the conference. I have a feeling by Day 5 I'll be ready to go back to NYC. Until then, I'm enjoying my mini-vacation. Like most people of my generation, I'm already discovering reasons to hate my job. So until I can take a real vacation, I'm going to pretend this is a vacation. And I suppose in a way it is. I'm not in the office. I'm staying in a hotel where I sleep in the middle of a King size bed that is made up for me every morning. I get to enjoy meals prepared by and paid by someone else. I'm exploring a new city. I'm listening to interesting presentations. Until I can take my European vacation, I suppose I'll take what I can get. After all, who am I to turn down a free trip?
I'm hoping the Carribean project my boss keeps mentioning actually happens. I am willing to make that trip for them...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home