Tuesday, February 13, 2007

thoughts on Valentine's Day

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. I've got a mixed reaction to this manufactured holiday. While I don't hate the idea of a day where you do something special for the people you love, I am still strongly opinionated about not celebrating this holiday due to principle.
First of all, I don't like that this holiday discriminates against single people. Valentine's Day is undeniably a "couples holiday." You can't escape all the marketing that is aimed towards couples in love celebrating Valentine's Day. As a result, I have known too many women who suddenly find themselves depressed to be single because on this day they are left out of the celebration. For them, Valentine's Day is suddenly "Single Awareness Day." I cannot support any holiday that makes people feel bad about themselves. As a wise friend of mine once pointed out "One is a whole number." Why should single women be led to believe their lives aren't whole because they aren't in a relationship? I'm pretty sure most men don't feel this way on February 14th...
Secondly, the whole marketing blitz is targeted towards men. There is suddenly an increased pressure placed on them to create the "perfect" Valentine's Day for their girlfriend or wife. Trust me, I know that I have never felt this sort of pressure. But I'm also usually not in a relationship on this holiday (which inevitably takes me back to my first complaint.) So it seems to me, not only is Valentine's Day discriminatory, it is also inequitable. Women are set-up to expect a certain degree of romance from their men, and men are set-up to fall short of these expectations. That's why I prefer not to celebrate at all. Then I don't have expectations, and he doesn't have to worry about disappointing me.
I do not plan to celebrate Valentine's Day. I do not plan to protest Valentine's Day, either. I guess I'm just indifferent (while at the same time being highly opinionated.) Actually, I'm hoping we get a big snowstorm in NYC tomorrow. After all, my favorite Valentine's Day memory was the year we got snow in Texas, and I did nothing but drink coffee and watch movies in my pajamas all day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home