Sunday, January 21, 2007

reflection on blogging

Lately I haven't been blogging much. My reason seems to be two-fold:
1. In between working two jobs, tutoring 3 nights a week, spending time with friends, and dating someone new, I just haven't had much free time.
2. I feel like my reason for blogging has changed, and it has affected my writing style and purpose.
When I first started blogging, I was looking for an outlet. I need a way to channel all of my feelings and thoughts into something creative and positive. Whether I was writing about the mundane or the personal, it was real. I allowed my voice to be vulnerable and honest. I wrote for myself. Even though I knew it was open for anyone to read, including people I knew, it still felt safe. Apart from trying to maintain some sense of anonymity, I didn't really edit my content or hold anything back. Then "i am cam" became "cam and the city" and the blog shifted. Maybe it wasn't perceptible to those who have been reading since I first started writing, but I knew my purpose and style had changed. I began writing for an audience instead of myself. As much as I love writing about my experiences and adventures in New York City, I also love writing about the random thoughts I have and that I am forever working out and processing. I'm never going to figure out life, but I love the process of trying to gain some sense of my purpose and who I am. But I don't write about this as much. I'm aware of who is or might be reading what I write, and my sense of safety has disappeared. It can be disconcerting to have someone learn about your personal thoughts, feelings, and struggles without you ever knowing they know. It makes what is personal and sacred for me, impersonal and meaningless.
So where do I go from here? Do I continue writing about my life in the City, withholding a part of myself? Or do I somehow learn to forget that people I know are reading my personal thoughts, ramblings, musings, and life and rediscover my purpose for writing?
I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I do know that I've missed blogging. I do need this blog as an outlet. I like writing. For me. And if others just happen to read my random thoughts, well, I guess that's just the way it is.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to break the silence just to let you know that we are out here. Listening. Waiting to hear what you will say next. I too have struggled with how much to reveal in my blog. I haven't found the answer yet either. But you need to know that your words are important. They matter. You matter. Thank you little Cam in the Big City. Thank you.

1:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home