Tuesday, November 07, 2006

2nd annual marathon party

This past Sunday was the annual NYC marathon. My roommate and I once again headed to a marathon party hosted by her aunt. Only this year the party was in Harlem at the apartment of one of the 37,000 runners. As we walked over to the apartment located at just before mile 22 on the route, we noticed only a few runners passed us. They were the top runners of the race.
We arrived at the party only to discover it was a beautiful apartment overlooking a park complete with fall foliage. Most of the party ended up congregating on the balcony (yes, a balcony!) to look to watch the runners passing on the street below. It was from here that we cheered. We yelled for those who looked ready to stop. We yelled the names of those wearing their names on their shirts. I yelled for all who were wearing Texas/UT memorabalia. And of course, we joined the group cheering as Lance Armstrong ran towards the mile 22 marker. He was easy to spot. He was running towards a TV camera, surrounded by an entourage of runners. I know, I saw him.
The whole scene was inspiring. I've already put the goal of running a marathon on my life-list. But watching these people and listening to the stories of others who've raced before, I'm determined to make it happen. So my roommate and I have decided to start training. Not for a marathon, but a half-marathon. After all, I'm no fool. I'm not ready for 26.2 miles. I'm not really ready for 13.1 miles, but it's an achieveable goal if I am determined to do it. Which I am. Even though I love drinking mimosas and watching marathons, I will not settle to only be a spectator. I will train for my half-marathon and after I succeed, I will train for a full one. Wish me lucks. My legs hurt just thinking about it...

1 Comments:

Blogger j-lay said...

you can do it!

4:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home