Wednesday, November 01, 2006

my first nyc music show

Last night I went to my first music show here in the city. There are always plenty of music concerts and shows going on her. But last year I was usually unable to take advantage of any offerings due to classes at night. This year I haven't had a chance due to limited finances until I secure a full time job. However, there are always exceptions.
I have been a big fan of Joshua Radin ever since I randomly discovered his song "Winter" on Amazon. Since that time, I began listening to more of his stuff. After giving in to the myspace craze, I added him to my friends list. This was how I found out about his show in New York. He was part of the Hotel Cafe Tour which included Cary Brothers as well. I've been a fan of Cary Brothers since "Blue Eyes" on the Garden State soundtrack. Both of the musicians are Zach Braff endorsed, so I knew it would be good.
I invited Julie to join me. I called to find out about tickets and was excited to learn that it was free- first come, first serve. The first musician went on at 8. We got there not long after that. It quickly became apparent that "free" isn't always better. The first come, first serve policy meant we had to stand in line to get in to see the musicians. We finally got through the black curtains at 10pm just in time to see Josh Radin take the stage. We stood there being bumped in all directions trying to enjoy the show. While I did like the music, I did not like the venue. We stayed to hear Cary Brothers immediately after. The minute the last note of "Blue Eyes" ended we bolted back through the black curtain for fresh air and more space.
Given the name of the venue, the Living Room, it was an ironically overall uncomfortable environment. But I enjoyed the music and seeing two great singer/songwriters.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't wait until our next music event!

6:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will see both of these lovely boys this Friday night when Hotel cafe is here in big D....good to hear they put on a good show....I *heart* Josh Radin

3:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home