Saturday, December 02, 2006

1F-ing Hot Christmas Party

Last night my roommate and I had a Christmas party to kick off the holiday season. We first mentioned the idea of having a party last year when we still lived in the dorm. When we moved into apartment 1F, we knew it would be possible. By New York standards, our place is big. We had plenty of room for the 20+ people we wanted to invite. So we after making our list of invitees, we created a very cute evite. We went with the Naughty or Nice theme, thus setting the tone for our party. Evites were in the inboxes before Thanksgiving.
Next we planned our menu. I chaneled my inner-Charlotte hostessing skills and created a menu that would make Martha Stewart proud. There was a cheese log with crackers, chips and queso, tortilla rolls with salsa, popcorn, M&Ms, sugar cookies and rice krispies. Various friends were consulted for their popular party recipies. Our drink menu included white russians, cranberry vodkas, peppermint schnapps hot chocolate, and a rum punch that was very popular.
Even with all our planning, shopping, and prepping before Friday, my roommate and I were still rushing around to finish everything before party time. Luckily most people don't show up at the actual party time. That gave us a little extra time. We set the food in the living room (because it is known fact that people will gather where there is food). We created a "bar" in the kitchen (because it is also a fact that people will gather where there is alcohol). We converted my roommate's room to be the overflow room by setting up her futon as a couch. Christmas decorations were placed throughout the apartment- a Christmas tree in the living room and my roommate's room, Santas, a wreath, and various other knicknacks. Lights were strung on the "bar". Basically, apartment 1F was ready to start rocking around the Christmas tree.
Of course, we still had to get ready for the party. In between batches of cookies, I did my hair and make-up and dressed up in my subtle holiday party outfit. Even though we were finally dressed and ready to greet guests, my roommate and I each need our final party touches. So my roommate donned a Santa hat, and I wore reindeer antler (that had blinking lights). Let's just say, I had no problem getting the attention of a very cute party guest...
Today as I wandered around the trash and party remnants, I declared the party a HUGE success. We had just the right amount of food. Drinks were plenty (besides the very popular punch). At one point there were probably 30 people mingling, dancing, drinking and being merry. The party didn't wind down until 2:30 when a small group left for the bar.
What can I say? My roommate and I know how to put together a party. And in the end, we proved being naughty really is nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home