Thursday, February 15, 2007

a true tall-tale by a very short girl

It snowed on Wednesday. Even though it was very snowy, I did not get a Snow Day. I had to go to work. There was no Valentine's Day in my pajamas watching movies all day. I did drink coffee, but I do that every day. Given the cold temperature and the snow and slush that covered the ground, I took the bus to work. I took the cross-town bus to Broadway with no delays. When I got to Broadway, there were no uptown buses anywhere. Finally I started walking. Luckily, four blocks later I was able to hop on a bus. It took me 40 minutes to get to work yesterday morning. It takes me 20 minutes to walk.
This morning was our weekly staff meeting. I knew I had to be work by 9am. I left my apartment at 8:25am. 10 minutes before my usual time. I didn't see a bus, so I decided I should start walking. I could not be late to work. I walked one block. I still did not see my bus. So I continued walking. I stepped through snow banks, crossing the street and cautiously making my along the sidewalk towards the park. As I looked at the park covered with snow, I wondered if I could make it up the stairs without killing myself.
This park is unlike most of the others in New York City. From my side, looking up, the park resembles a fort. It's as if a barrier has been set up between Columbia and Harlem. I know I resent that barrier every morning when I must trek straight uphill, climbing 165 stairs.
This morning I really hated the stairs. Especially since they were covered in snow. As I was walking, I thought of the tall-tale my dad (like so many dads) used to tell about how "in his day he had to walk to school, in the snow, uphill, both ways." There I was. I was walking to work, in the snow, uphill. Sure, it wasn't both ways. But I was in a skirt and boots with 2 inch heels.
As I attempted my suicide mission, I envisioned myself falling down those stairs. I wondered who would find me shivering in the snow with broken bones. With each step I felt my boots slide somewhat unevenly as I stepped to the next stair. When I reached the final landing, I looked up at the last set of stairs. I wondered if I would successfully make it without falling. I slowly worked my way up the stairs, each step more uncertain and treacherous than the one before. Half way up, I saw a guy walking down the stairs fall and slide down 3 steps. I decided to trek through the higher snowbanks to be closer to the railing. By the time I reached the top, I was pulling myself up using the rails.
I'm not sure if I'm going to walk to work again tomorrow. But if I do, I think I'll go around the park and stay away from those deadly stairs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home