Thursday, May 03, 2007

fearing the 1%

Exactly one month ago, I went to the doctor. As I was leaving, she said to me "Nothing personal, but I hope I don't talk to you for a year. I'll only call if there is something wrong with your test results."
She called me a two weeks later.
There are certain words you don't want your doctor saying to you. Words such as abnormal and biopsy, and anything ending with "oscopy" are among the many. That's why when my doctor called me and used such words, I freaked out a little. I heeded the assurances of friends and family that everything was going to be fine. They know others who've gotten such news, and it turned out fine. I was 99% sure they were right, and I would be fine. It was the 1% of doubt that scared the bejezus out of me.
I went to back to the doctor last Tuesday and had my "oscopy" to biopsy the abnormal cells. Then I waited for the news. During the next few days, I experienced a time of reflection. What if it was the 1%? Would I have to go through this alone? Sure, I've got my friends and family in Texas, but who would be that significant person to be there for me in the here and now?
On Friday, my doctor called me. I'm fine.

3 Comments:

Blogger j-lay said...

i'm really happy that you're fine. it is amazing how the 1% can affect our state of mind.

8:37 AM

 
Blogger linz said...

I went through the same thing last week. I, too, am fine. Come back to Tejas, I'll buy you a drink!

3:34 PM

 
Blogger Jess said...

The same thing happened to me right before the wedding! I was realy freaking out, but thankfully I am fine as well. That 1% can really put you into a tizzy. I'm glad you're OK!

1:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home