Sunday, September 16, 2007

dreams: revelations about yourself?

A few nights ago, I had a dream that made me wonder if my subconscious was offering revelations of my true feelings and desires. (Commentary on the dream is italicized.)

It started the night before my sister's wedding. I was supposed to be at the rehearsal dinner, but I hadn't brought a dress to wear. This meant I was desperately searching through my sister's closet for something to wear. This is a very real possibility. My sister was pretty mad that I was running late and once again had to borrow something to wear from her. If that wasn't bad enough, the next night- the actual wedding- I couldn't find my bridesmaid dress. I think I'm worried about being her maid of honor. She's my sister and this is her wedding. It should be perfect. Unfortunately, I am not a wedding person. Am I going to be a good maid of honor?
Apparently, my sister's wedding prompted me to begin thinking about my own future. I realized that my younger sister was getting married. Maybe my time is running out to meet someone- so I decided I should get married.
I called an ex-boyfriend. After all, at one point we had been in love. We were compatible. I decided I would just marry him. He showed up, and we began making the wedding preparations. Given that I'm not a wedding person, there wasn't much to do. Then on the day of the wedding, I realized that I couldn't marry this person. I really did like him and we were compatible. That was the problem- it was all in the past. I am not still in love with this person, and I seriously doubt we'd have very much in common now. A few hours before the wedding, I realized that I was in love with someone else. I hadn't been honest about my feelings for this other guy, so I decided I had to tell him. I set out in search to find him. Once I did, I didn't exactly declare my love for him. Instead, I gave him a compatibility test to fill out. In the meantime, I canceled the wedding. After all, I wasn't in love with my ex-boyfriend.
I never found out the results of that compatibility test. I have a feeling I know what they would be. However, I didn't need to know if there was someone better to marry. The important thing was realizing that when I marry, I want it to be for love. But the compatibility test reveals that love isn't enough. I also want someone who is truly a good match for me. I want someone who meets the description of the previous post.

Maybe I'm totally over-analyzing this dream. But it was one of those dreams that seemed real at the time. It was a dream that has continued to make me think- about relationships, love, and marriage- all of which I know will happen in their own time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home