Monday, September 17, 2007

everybody move to the back of the bus

When I moved to my new apartment, my commute to work changed. When I lived in my old apartment, I walked to work through a park, uphill. Nearly everyday I climbed those stairs. From my apartment door to the office door, it took me just under 20 minutes. The only time I didn't walk was on days when it was crazy raining or crazy snowing. Otherwise, I walked down the street to the park, up all those damn stairs, then down the hill 4 blocks to my office.
Though the commute to work is longer- 35 minutes from door to door, depending on the traffic- it is definitely easier. Each morning I walk down the stairs, out of my apartment. Some days I can see the bus at the stop. This usually makes me hurry down the stairs a little bit faster. I don't go to the bus stop I can see from the stair windows, but to the one on the next corner. If there is a group there, it is a fairly good sign. It means I haven't missed the bus. If I have missed the bus, I usually know it. I can see it pulling away from the curb.
Generally the people waiting for the bus with me have enough sense to form a queue. After all, it makes sense that if I'm the first one at the bus stop, then I should be the first one on the bus. This is not the case. I'm still shocked at the pushing and cutting that grown people do in order to be first on the bus. Okay, I want a seat on that bus as much as the next person, but I'm not going to forget my manners to get one. I can stand. And if it is a man engaging in this behavior, pushing some little old lady out if his way? Don't even get me started.
Sometimes the crowd waiting for the bus sign is very alarming. It means that the bus is running late. When it finally does arrive, there is a lot of pushing to make it on the bus. Not me. Not only do I hate when the bus is that crowded, but I've also learned there is another bus directly behind this one. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person at my bus stop who has learned this fact. So while that one guy shoves his way onto the already too crowded bus, I wait patiently for the one that I can see at the stop light.
Once on the bus, I usually just relax. If I've got a seat and a book, I read. Otherwise I just listen to my MP3 player like most of the other bus riders. It takes about 10 minutes to get from the east side over to the west. This includes a short drive through Central Park. I'm looking forward to this part of my commute now that the leaves are beginning to change.
When I get to Broadway, I have to transfer to the subway. This is my least favorite part of my commute. I hate walking down into the subway. I have to crowd with everyone else while avoiding the newsboys who are trying to thrust a paper into my hands. Inevitably the platform will be crowded with people waiting. If it isn't, I know that I've just missed the train. For some reason, the train always seems to take FOREVER. I begin to get really antsy after two express trains will come, dumping more people to wait for the local train along with me. It was especially awful during the summer when there was no airflow and a throng of people waiting on a limited space of platform. On those days, I would wonder why I even bothered doing my hair or make-up. I'd just be a sweaty mess by the time my commute was over.
Once I'm on the train, which sometimes is so crowded I can't even reach a bar to keep my balance, but it doesn't matter because I'm so sandwiched among my fellow train riders that I'm not going anywhere, I only have to go three stops. On days when the train part is either hot or crowded or both, I'm always EXTREMELY relieved to exit to the fresh air. It's sad when I'm able to cool off on the walk 4 blocks down to work.
I can't say I completely escaped a life filled with stairs. My commute back home is simply the opposite of my mornings. So I face walking up stairs at the end of my day. Maybe my commute isn't easier after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home