Sunday, September 30, 2007

breaking the (work) boundaries

Usually I'm pretty good about setting boundaries (at least on a professional level.) Work should be a 9am-5pm affair. Sure, there are the occasional times when it is necessary to work through lunch or stay late. But in my opinion, these should be the exception, not the rule. I most especially hold to the 5pm rule on Fridays when I am headed to happy hour. I want nothing more than to relax and begin my weekend.
This past week lots of boundaries were broken at work. I took on a project that wasn't mine. I stayed late on Thursday, working through lunch. I got there early on Friday,working well past the designated happy hour time. Then I checked work email on Saturday. Big mistake. I then found myself wrapped up in and the root cause of a drama-filled, work-related weekend. I talked to several of my co-workers on multiple occasions. Not only was I breaking my boundaries, but I was breaking theirs too.
The weekend wasn't quite as relaxing as I had hoped it would be. Like the two previous weekends, it was filled with some drama. Too bad it was all related to work.
In the end, it wasn't all that bad. I realized just how lucky I am. I've got amazing co-workers. They were there to support me. When I said I was going to go in on Sunday, each of them said they would go with me. Of course, I would do the same for any of them.
In the end, we didn't go in today. Well, one of them did. And that's my fault. I'm publicly apologizing to you here. Again. (I think I inadvertently escalated the work drama...)
I don't know what tomorrow will be like, all I know is that I am looking forward to facing it with some of the best people I've ever had the pleasure to call co-workers and friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home