Thursday, February 16, 2006

when teaching coincides with the rich and famous

Today I had my first job interview since quitting the job I hated.
I've visited and revisited craigslist searching for jobs. I've sent numerous resumes. I got one response. It was from a company that contracts certified teachers to work with kids who are in or around the entertainment industry. It sounded promising and very interesting.
The interview was two part- first with a group, then individually. In the group interview the owner and founder of this education company told us his background and how we would fit into the company. Basically, we are contracted out to production companies. We would be teaching child actors, performers, etc. or the children of actors, performers, etc. In some cases, we might be hired to teach the child of someone who is just ridiculously rich and wants a private teacher. It all sounded so glamorous. Going to production sets or the theater, mingling with celebrities (or maybe he just said production people), flying to Europe with recording artists, traveling with the circus. It also sounded very unpredictable. I might get a call tomorrow morning asking me to work or I might get a call in 2 months. It all depends on the needs of these production people. I could be sent to tutor on the set of a commercial, in a trailer in Central Park, or in a theater. Each teaching gig could last anywhere from a few days to a few months, depending on the length and type of production. If I wasn't in school, I would have the option to go on tours- as a teacher. There was some name dropping. I have to admit, I was a little impressed and quite star-struck. I could be the one to teach Dakota Fanning to do long division.
I have no idea if I've been hired. I have no idea if I'll be given an assignment anytime soon. But I hope I get to work. I need money. After all, I'll need a nice dress to wear to the Oscars when the celebrities I meet make me their new best friend and invite me along.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

dakota fanning doesn't need to know long division. she makes more money than i will ever see and she's like, 9 years old.

just teach her how to add up the cash.

12:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home