Monday, January 23, 2006

i am very sleepy but it was worth it

I woke up at 4:30am this morning in order to catch my 7:00am flight back to New York City. Why did I leave the City I love if it wasn't a holiday? After all I was just in Texas 2 weeks ago. Well, according to the CT it was a holiday. It was her birthday. Her 30th birthday. And I wanted to be there with her to celebrate.
Sometime ago, back in December, the CT emailed, asking me to offer my NYC fabulousness for her "you only turn 30 once" birthday party. I asked her if I could plan the party for her, though at the time I believed it would not be possible for me to attend. I would be the hostess from afar. I would take care of all the planning then recruit a co-hostess to ensure the party ran smoothly without me.
However, as I began to plan, I knew I would regret missing this milestone in one of my best friend's life. So I started searching airplane tickets just to see...
I love my friend, but could I truly justify spending several hundred dollars to fly home for 2 1/2 days? Then one day, I got an idea. I could use my miles to "buy" the ticket. Not longer afterwards, the pieces began to fall into place. I would surprise the CT. I would fly from NYC to attend her very fabulous birthday party.
I only told one person my plan. The biggest surprise might be that she managed to keep my secret. Well, for the most part. She did tell her husband and two other people. But the secret was never spilled to the birthday girl.
I arrived at her house the night of the party bearing pizza, cake and beer. I not only surprised the birthday girl herself, but most of the guests as well. In my opinion, it was the best birthday surprise. I loved being her birthday surprise present.
It was a great weekend. Though I left the City I love, I spent it with the people I love. Most especially a friend who has made such an impact on my life that I couldn't miss the chance to celebrate her 30 years of life.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

i still can't believe you did this, and that i had no idea. you sure know how to make someone feel super special.

you are quite clever. and sneaky. and very pretty.

and i love you.

now, what are you going to do to top that for my 31st?

11:57 PM

 
Blogger Kerri said...

it was fun, wasn't it?

thanks for acknowleging that i'm one to be trusted. :)

1:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home