Saturday, December 24, 2005

my adventure of leaving the City

Well, I did manage to get out of NYC. Though not without some degree of adventure. After panicking on Tuesday, I began searching for a way to the airport. I called Super Shuttle- booked. I called Dial 7 car service- booked. Everyone was booked for the next day. After all, I wasn't the only one who needed an alternative to the transit system.
Luckily my fancy grad school was offering a free shuttle in light of the transit strike. So I joined my suitemate at 8am Wednesday morning to begin making my way to the airport for my 2pm flight. We located the shuttle near the campus that would take us down to Penn Station. No problem. Along the way, I saw many stores and restaurants I don't usually see because I'm riding underground. As we made our way to midtown, I saw increasingly more pedestrians. I also saw the something that would become the highlight of my trip- a business man in a suit pushing a scooter (probably his kid's) to work.
Once at Penn Station, I could not find the bus service to the airport. So I called and was told to go to the corner of 7th Ave. and 33rd St. After my bagel and coffee with my suitemate, I hugged her good-bye and went outside to look for my bus. I saw two buses, neither going to the airport. Then I spotted a van that said airlink so I headed over there. I didn't see the driver so I called to see if I was in the right place. They told me yes, but that it wasn't there van. Right about that time, the driver showed up and asked if I was going to the aiport. I told him yes, but that the woman told me that airlink wasn't the right van. He said for $12 this van would take to Grand Central then the airport. Hey, I didn't care how I get there, as I long as I did. I got in the van.
So, I took my second shuttle of the day across Manhattan to Grand Central Station. There I bought my bus ticket to the aiport and waited in line. Luckily I didn't have to wait too long and before I knew it, I was on a bus on my way to the aiport. My third shuttle service of the day.
I arrived at the airport at noon. From that point everything seemed to be going much better. Apart from the fact that I was starting to feel sick. The first leg of my flight was from New York to Charlotte, North Carolina. Talk about a southern state... It was like being in a foreign country. Finally at 7pm I arrived safely back in Texas. It had taken me nearly all day, but I managed to get out of New York and home for the holidays.

Merry Christmas!

1 Comments:

Blogger j-lay said...

glad you made it. i hope you had a great time and i look forward to hearing about it.

1:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home