Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Christmas in the City

Despite the soon-to-be cold temperatures, this is my favorite time of year. Especially when I live in New York City. Store windows create Christmas displays, Christmas carols play throughout restaurants and shops, and lights adorn trees and lampposts. While decorations can be found throughout Manhattan, the centerpiece of the season is without a doubt Rockefeller Center and its enormous Christmas tree.
Tonight was the annual tree-lighting ceremony. The Rockefeller Center welcomed celebrities such as Sheryl Crow, Carrie Underwood, the Goo Goo Dolls and Regis Philbin to entertain with a medley of Christmas favorites. Finally the crowd counted down- 10, 9, 8... and the tree was lit. I was there, standing in the crowd to experience it all. Sure, I would have had a better view had I stayed at home and watched it on my personal TV. But I wouldn't have experienced it- live, in person, in Rockefeller Center. After the countdown, the crowd began to thin and we were able to make our way to see the famous, Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. It really was beautiful.
While leaving the Center, the crowd again began cheering. This time it was for a couple that had just gotten engaged. I swear, her ring was as big as that tree. And if that wasn't exciting enough, I had my first celebrity siting. As we were trying to make our way back to the subway, police stopped us so that the Goo Goo Dolls could get in a van to take them away from all the chaos. The rest of our walk involved navigating our way through police barriers and closed roads over to Broadway and the subway. What a relief- I was cold, tired, and anxious to get home and watch LOST.
Sometimes its nice to stay home and watch my favorite show, but I don't want to miss Christmas in the City. I'm looking forward to more city experiences- at Christmas time and beyond.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kerri said...

i hate you. christmastime in new york is like the BEST christmas ever. of course, i'm only basing this off of the movie serendipity, but i'm very very jealous.

2:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home