Sunday, February 12, 2006

I guess they were right

When I moved to New York, I brought a down comforter, electric blanket, 3 heavy coats, scarves, gloves and hats. I was dreading the Northern winters. After all, in Texas, when the weatherman thinks there might be snow, the cities shut down and declare "inclement weather day." I knew I was not prepared for a New York winter.
I had begun to believe that I overestimated the winters here. Two weeks ago, I was walking down the street with my sweater off, wearing just my tank top. It was definitely not necessary to wear one of the many sweaters I acquired in anticipation of the cold, snowy weather. A week ago, I took the kids I babysit to the park to play tag. I got hot running around. I began to wonder, "Why was I so worried? This winter isn't any worse than ours in Texas." Sure, we'd had one or two days of snow. But lately, even Texas gets one or two days of snow each winter.
But the experienced Northerners kept telling me not to think winter was over. I kept hearing, "It's going to get worse. It's going to get colder. It will snow again." That time has come. February really is the winter in New York. The rumors and weather reports began on Friday. It's going to snow. It's going to be a blizzard. Expect 10 inches of snow. I have no concept of any of this. It snowed in Texas, but 2 inches was a blizzard. What does a real blizzard look like?
The snow began last night around 6 pm. Light flurries, nearly like rain. By the time the Gonzaga v. Stanford basketball game ended, I couldn't see the streets. We headed downtown, but I didn't know where I was. The street signs were completely covered with snow. On our way back uptown, the cab slid a couple of times.
The snow continues to fall. The parked cars on the street below are hardly visible. Not only are the covered with snow, but the snow on the ground is nearly to the roof of the cars. Heavy snow is predicted by Yahoo! all day. At what point will I get to tell people I survived my first blizzard?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home