Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Embracing Indeed

I had a professor last semester who often said "indeed." Sometimes it was used to reaffirm her next statement, such as "Are you fortunate to have a world-renowned professor such as myself teaching you this semester? Indeed." Sometimes it was just to preface her comment or to sound intellectual and important, "Indeed, I was honored when you selected me to be your professor this semester." Everytime she said the word, it made her come across as pretentious and arrogant. Indeed.
Maybe I was never paying attention or maybe it was the overuse of this word that got my attention, but I don't recall too many people from Texas saying "indeed." Except for maybe my friend, suburban jesus. I can't help but wonder if it is a cultural difference. Perhaps Northerners simply use it more frequently.
Now there is the one who says "indeed" who is not at all pretentious or arrogant- the new guy I'm dating, Mr. Indeed. He responds to comments I say with "indeed." It is the reaffirming, very cute usage of the word. Mr. Indeed believes that I'll come to embrace the word. I responded with a smile and an "indeed."

1 Comments:

Blogger j-lay said...

interesting, interesting indeed.

11:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home