Thursday, March 10, 2005

cam and the city

I had begun to think I had grown afraid of taking risks. Then I realized that there are just some risks I didn't necessarily want to take. But there was one I couldn't resist. And so, I took a big risk and waited to see what would happen.
I've always wanted to go to grad school. I just couldn't figure out what it was I wanted to study when I finally did go back to school. I'm a teacher now. And I like the field of education. But I didn't want to let go of my sociology background. As I researched programs, I found one school that had the exact program I was looking for- sociology and education. Unfortunately, this school is out of state and highly competitive. So I continued searching for something a little closer to home and reality. No such luck. Then in early November, during a week when I cried on the way to work nearly every day, I received a brochure from my dream school. I had no idea how they had gotten my work address or even my name. Even though I had visited the website many times, I had never requested additional information. I tucked the brochure into my desk drawer and accepted it as a sign and a challenge. I would apply to the highly, prestious school. I would risk rejection as I set a goal that seemed nearly impossible.
I confided my plan to only one friend. It is possible I unintentionally mentioned it after a few beers. Luckily she kept my secret and kept me accountable. She gave me deadlines so that I couldn't procrastinate. She helped me edit, revise, and polish a kick-ass personal statement. She kept me from using inappropriate phrases such as 'kick-ass' in my application. She encouraged me through each phase of the application process, most especially the waiting for a response.
And then on Monday, I opened my breath and hoped the large envelope in my mailbox was not junk mail. I couldn't believe it when I read the following:
Dear cam,
I am pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to the school you so desperately want to attend. We read your kick-ass essay and realized, you were right, we should accept you to our great school. You now have the opportunity to take the biggest risk of your life and move to one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. By yourself. You will have to endure cold winters and hot summers. You will have to leave your nice, big apartment and move into an apartment the size of your current closet. You will have no money in which to travel for the next two years. But you will have many new exciting adventures that will forever change your life.
Sincerely,
your dream school
I've been taking the brochure out of my drawer these last few days. It reminds me that risks are both scary and exciting. And worth taking. Especially when it works out the way you wish and hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home