Friday, February 18, 2005

lollipops for Jesus

Last Friday was my class Valentine Party. As the cupcakes, chips and candy were passed out, one of my students offered me a heart sucker he had received in his Valentine box. Then another student offered explanation saying, "He gave up lollipops for Jesus!"
I asked my student if he often ate lollipops, and he told me everyday. The season of Lent is upon us. A time when so many, like my student, choose to give up something until Easter. I didn't grow up observing Lent. I knew some people who did. My junior year of high school, a guy in my psychology class informed our teacher he had given up talking for Lent. I wasn't so sure about Lent at that point. Because his commitment only lasted about 1 day.
The first time I decided to participate in Lent I was still living in Thailand. I gave up drinking soft drinks. It was difficult. The first week I was offered a Dr Pepper. Let me just say, in Thailand Dr Pepper is hard to come by. Only people with connections to the US Embassy can buy Dr Pepper. I returned to the United States the Saturday before Easter. I was greeted at the airport with a goody basket that included Dr Pepper (my family knows me well). Unfortunately, I had to wait until the next day to enjoy my favorite soft drink.
Last year I decided to give up listening to the radio in my car. At first the silence was nearly deafening. It was hard being trapped with only my thoughts. I had hoped to have great insights during that time of silence. I didn't so much. But I did learn how to enjoy the quiet. In fact, after Easter I had to readjust to sound in my car. And even now, I sometimes turn off the radio and enjoy nothing.
This year is by far the hardest Lent experience for me. I'm counting the days until Easter. And so, I empathize with my student who gave up lollipops. It is hard to sacrifice something you like. But I am hopeful that this experience will provide awareness and growth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home