Monday, February 14, 2005

just another

Last year was one of my best Valentine's Days ever. It snowed, and I didn't change out of my pajamas or leave my apartment the entire day. This year I'm not so lucky. I have to go to work. Other than that, I'm not really worried about this holiday that so many single women dread.
I like Valentine's Day. I get to wear red which is a good color on me. As a kid, I enjoyed making my box and exchanging valentines at school. Now as a teacher, I got enough valentines to wallpaper my bathroom. I also got 2 boxes of chocolates, 1 cupcake, 3 frogs and a bear. My kids love me...
I've had a boyfriend for a few Valentine's Days, but I think it is worse than being single. There is all this pressure on him and on me. To plan something romantic, buy something romantic, make the day special. When I think back on my most romantic dates, none of them include Valentine's Day.
I've heard my friends refer to February 14th as Single Awareness Day. Or they wear black and protest the Hallmark-created, commericalized holiday that is designed for people to buy over-priced flowers and sappy love cards. Yes, it may be true that it is a commercialized holiday. But what holiday isn't?
So this year, I'll wear red or pink for Valentine's Day. And I'll take time to remember the people in my life that I love or have loved. Maybe I'll even send a Valentine or two. A friend of mine sent a link for when Hallmark just doesn't have a card to convey the right message. My favorites include: Unimaginative, You'll Do, and Prick.
Happy Valentine's Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home