Friday, January 28, 2005

Saved Again

I watched Saved! last night. I haven't seen it since this summer. I really liked it which is good since I now own it. As I watched the movie, I was reminded of my own experience with the church and the spiritual abuse that often happens. Being taught that you are never good enough. That you will be punished for your sins. Intolerance and judgement disguised as love.
As I watched, it was the genuine love that struck me. The characters who were real and honest- with each other and with themselves. I like when Patrick simply says "I like you Mary." He is straightforward, yet vulnerable. It is hard to expose yourself this way. Emotionally naked. There are a few characters who allow themselves to take this risk. You can never be certain that others will be careful with you. I think this is why it is so hard to be vulnerable. But sometimes you just have to decide to trust others and hope you don't get too hurt. But if you have enough of these authentic relationships, you know you have friends to help you heal the scars we sometimes get when we take risks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home