Friday, January 21, 2005

one of those moments

I recently had my first "teacher moment". It was the type of heart-warming moment you might read in the Chicken Soup for the Teacher's Soul, Volume 108. In theory, I treat all my students equally. However, I know this isn't true. While at first it caused me a lot of anxiety, I've realized that I have to interact with my students according to their individual needs. While this obviously true regarding academics, it is also true in their emotional development. Some of my kids come from homes where there is lots of love and support to be found. These are the kids who openly and willingly show love to me and others. But some of my students bring issues into the classroom that I can't even imagine, and I've never had to face.
I have one child that I singled out. It has been a gradual process learning about this student. (For confidentiality reasons, this student will be called X). During the first weeks of school, X was often in trouble. At first the discipline issues were of serious concern: fighting, stealing, lying. Then I began talking to X. I learned his mom died a few years ago. His Dad and brothers and sister live in another state. He lives with his aunt and uncle who are very strict and don't treat him the same as their own children. X is a bright kid and makes good grades. However, he is never told he is a good kid. The acadmic success is overlooked as the discipline issues are made the priority. Since the beginning of school, X's behavior has dramatically improved. He wants to be good. But he is 8 years old. He is going to make mistakes. He is going to have consequences. He shouldn't be expected to never get in trouble- at home or at school.
Around the time I started my hug agenda, I started hugging X. Many of my students would hug me as they left the class, but never X. But I realized that if anyone need to be hugged, it was X. And so I started hugging him. Everyday. Lately I think X has seemed happier. He gets along better with the other students and is making friends. He is less reserved, and I'm learning he has a great personality.
Last week, I sent a note home to his guardians along with his weekly behavior sheet. He had received only one check and it was for late work or something trivial. In the note, I wrote that I was proud of the efforts X is making to improve his behavior. I also commented that he deserved making the honor roll.
When he brought back the signed weekly behavior sheet, X threw his arms around me giving me a big hug. And it was one of those moments. I felt I just might have made a difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home