Tuesday, January 18, 2005

a forgotten love

One thing I really miss about Thailand is the time I had to read. Not only was I less busy, but there were also fewer distractions. I read all the books I took with me. Then I started reading all my roommate's books. I read all sorts of books. On vacations my roommate and I would each take two books. I read much faster than her so I would finish the two I brought, then started reading hers. Reading faster wasn't always a good thing. I was secretly jealous because I felt like she took the time to enjoy the books more than I did. But I don't know how to read slower. I'd often finish all the books we'd packed, and I'd borrow a book from the guesthouse where we were staying. Or I'd go buy a used book from a small shop.
I first realized I missed reading around Thanksgiving. As a teacher, I'm constantly encouraging my students to read. But I wasn't taking the time to follow my own advice. So I went out and bought a new book. It promised to be laugh-out-loud funny with characters that remind me of people I know. Let me just say, that was not true at all. I was very disappointed. Surprisingly, I did finish the book.
While I still haven't finished the book I bought this past summer in Greece, I have recently finished two other books. One was "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris. I first read two of his books in Thailand when I was borrowing books from my roommate's shelves. While I might not laugh out loud as much as she did, I did laugh. The one I just finished did make me laugh out loud. A lot. So when I was on the plane to Las Vegas, I had to try not to laugh too loudly and wake those who were sleeping. I recommend it.
Over this past three day weekend, I started and finished my 2nd book. Within 24 hours. It was an easy read. And I enjoyed the book. So I've begun reading my 3rd book this month. I had actually forgotten I bought this book while in Greece. A friend of mine recently blogged about it, and I realized that I had it sitting on my shelf somewhere. And so now I'm reading "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius."
If it really is heartbreaking, then I know I'll be ready to read the new David Sedaris book I got for Christmas next. Because I always love to laugh out loud.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home