Tuesday, February 22, 2005

another rant

I hate email forwards. Especially the ones that are sappy and about love and relationships. Inevitably at the end of those emails, are the words "Send this to 2 people you know and the guy you like will notice you. Send this to 10 people you know and he will talk to you. Send this to everyone you know and maybe he will ask you out. Warning: failure to send this will place a curse on your romantic life forever and you will never have another date." Or something like that.
I never send the forwards. And lately I've become suspicious that this is my problem. The guys in my life are content to talk about dating, but not actually date. They make plans without ever actually make a plan. They are caught in the cycle of planning the plan for "hanging out."
And what is with "hanging out"? I had enough of that in college. Dating didn't exist at Baylor. No one I knew seemed to be dating. They were just "hanging out" with guys. What happened to dating? Has it become an outdated ritual? Hey, I love to hang out. If we are just friends...
But dating implies there in an intentional desire to get to know a person. And if it happens to involve dinner and movie, I enjoy those things, too.

4 Comments:

Blogger ago-go said...

even more frustrating is when you're 'hanging out' with a guy, that moves into 'dating' (dinner, movies, etc.), and then he suddenly decides he wants to go back to just 'hanging out'....ummm, yeah, it's kinda hard to go back to just hanging out after kissing someone. can't seem to win with men...sigh, is it obvious that i've been burned recently?

6:10 PM

 
Blogger i am cam said...

yes, 'hanging out' after making out with a guy who made you believe he wanted to date, but then changed his mind is very frustrating.
i've been there. i know the pain.

i used to believe. i was taken from the world of cynics to such great heights, but now i've sunk deeper into cynicism and frustration.

9:50 PM

 
Blogger Matthew slay said...

a guy with balls, that's the only requirement? sounds like you have a chance to do pretty well.

email me sometime. i emailed last, it's your turn.
slay
www.xanga.com/genslay

3:33 PM

 
Blogger i am cam said...

let me point out, that i never used the phrase "a guy with balls". i've got several requirements- he should make me laugh and, of course, he has to be hot. but most importantly he has to be a risk-taker. someone who is willing to make the first move. the last guy i dated wasn't afraid of taking risks.
too bad he stopped asking me to take risks with him. but it has forced me to take new risks. and for that, i'm grateful.

6:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home