Tuesday, February 28, 2006

"I don't do borough"

Normally my weekends are pretty predictable. I go to Happy Hour at Nacho's on Fridays, then out somewhere. Saturdays usually start late, heading away from the Upper West Side. This past weekend started out looking to be a typical weekend.
I went to Happy Hour at Nacho's. Soon I won't be able to go to the Happy Hour because I've decided to work on Friday afternoons, 3-7pm, missing the 4-7pm specials. I was excited about "my last Nacho's Happy Hour." (Of course, I'll be there next weekend when CT is in town.)
After 2 margaritas, it was time for Big Slice. The great thing about New York is big pizza slices for cheap prices. I'm sure there are better pizza places than this one, but like Nacho's it's convenient and it's tradition.
After the pizza, we were standing in the cold deciding where to go. Then drama began to occur. Issues needed to be resolved and for some reason, it was decided that then was a good time. I didn't want to deal with it. I left. I went home at 8:30pm on a Friday night. That never happens. I didn't go home early even when I had to work at 8:00am on Saturday morning. I was definitely in a weird mood. The rest of my evening was uneventful. I watched a movie that I slept through. I texted a boy. I couldn't sleep when I wanted. I worked on a job application and went to the grocery store at 2:30am.
After my non-eventful Friday night, I was looking forward to Saturday night. I was going to Brooklyn. Now normally, I don't do borough. Venturing to the Lower East Side seems far when you live on the Upper West Side. But leaving Manhattan...
The first thing I noticed about Brooklyn was that it seemed so spacious. The streets seemed wider. It also looked more like a neighborhood. I was going to a party at the house of a girl from my class. It was an actual house. 3 stories, several bedrooms, a big kitchen. It was the type of place where you could actually have a party. It was a good thing it was so roomy because at 8:00pm, the dance lessons started. That's right. There was dancing at this party. Salsa dancing. You should see my Latin moves... The party was a lot of fun. It was fun to go out with people from my classes. We danced, we ate, we drank. I'm glad I went to Brooklyn.
But I'm still a Manhattan girl. Once back on the island, I head up to the east side to meet my suitemate and her dramatic friends. Luckily everyone was getting along. They were all together to celebrate the engagement of a friend. The partying continued well past midnight. I'm glad my weird mood had passed. After all, the City and all of its boroughs offers a lot of opportunities for fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home