Friday, June 03, 2005

naked

Today I went out to run some errands. While I was out, I discovered that I had left my cell phone at home. I checked and double-checked in my purse to make sure it wasn't there. Then I wondered if I should go back for it.
Why did I feel so incomplete without my phone? For years I protested cell phones. I never had one in high school or even college. I think I had some philosophical reason for refusing to buy a cell phone, but I can't remember what it was. All I know is that I didn't get one until I moved to Thailand. That's right. Here is what I love about mobile phones, as they are called in Thailand- it doesn't cost you anything to receive a call. Everyone in Thailand seemed to have a mobile phone because it was cheaper than using land lines. Whether riding the skytrain, eating at a restaurant or teaching at school, I was likely to hear a mobile phone ringing. And since I was one who believed in embracing my new culture, I broke down and bought a mobile phone. Though I actually held out my first year. It took me nearly as long to appreciate the concept of the mobile phone as it did to appreciate the traditional Thai lemongrass soup, Tom Yung Khung. But once I embraced the mobile phone, I quickly learned to love it. I was able to be one of the many receiving or making calls while riding the skytrain, eating at a restaurant or teaching at school. My parents were able to call me even as I was standing on the beach of a Thai island.
When I moved back to the United States I had grown accustomed to the advantages of the cell phone. Long forgottten were my arguments against being in constant connection via phone. To the point that now, when I forget my phone at home, it is almost as if I have forgotten something as important as, say, my pants.

2 Comments:

Blogger LukeMiller said...

where's the confession?

11:48 AM

 
Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

cam hates pants.

3:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home