Friday, May 06, 2005

you can't always get what you want

I took the day off from work today because I wanted to sleep in and hopefully begin to feel rested. Instead I woke up with a sore throat, a headache, and a lot of stress caused by my dreams.

I wanted to have all my packing done so that this move will go smoothly. From where I sit now, it doesn't look like anything has been packed.

In contrast to the cynicism of the Garden State quote, I wanted to reflect about the possibility that I did create a new home for myself. And now I am emotionally preparing to leave it. Unfortunately, I gave the impression that I am dreading moving home. This isn't the case at all. I love my family. In fact, I like my family. Which some people can't say. I've just always been very independent. I think it would be acceptable for me to say that I have created a new home if I had a husband and children who lived there with me. I guess I just feel like home is the place where you experience life.

Since the start of the year I've been faced with making decisions and choices, and I wanted to believe that these choices and decisions wouldn't affect others. But I have to accept the fact that my actions do have consequences and sometimes not just for me. I love the people in my life. But sometimes I can be selfish. I start to think it's all about me. And I start to think that I can choose what is best for me. I read a book last year called "The Secret Life of Bees". I don't necessarily recommend this book unless you are just bored. But there was a quote in there that struck me as I read it.
"The problem is they know what matters, but they don't choose it. The hardest thing on earth is choosing what matters."
I know what matters. And I want to start choosing what matters. Because unfortunately it isn't just about the now. It is going to affect the later.

I might not always get what I want, and that's okay.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kerri said...

'you can't always get what you waaaahannt, you can't always get what you waaaahaant, but if you try sometimes, you might just find, you get what you neeeed'.

(and you need to allow non-blogspoters to post comments. go change your settings now!)

2:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home