Thursday, April 28, 2005

cam confession #7

I don't like asking people for help.
In other words, I'm stubborn and have way too much pride. I've been this way for a long time. I can remember working at a camp one summer and refusing all efforts of help as I worked to scrub 20 pots and pans clean. Or I'll be carrying something heavy, yet I'll tell people I don't need any help carrying the object that is about to drop out of my hands.
Why do I confess this struggle? I went to yet another doctor this week. He has strongly advised me not to drive for 6 months. Now luckily I'll be moving to a city where I won't need to drive and don't want to drive. But that isn't for another 4 month. But luckily I'll also be traveling nearly 6 weeks total before I move.
But what about the rest of the time? I still have places to go, people to see. Just last night I had a softball game, then our weekly $1 beer night. I had to ask a friend to drive me. I didn't like that feeling. In addition to feeling like a burden to my friend, I also lost my sense of freedom. Now my friend has assured me that she is more than happy to drive me because she loves me and that's what friends do. I know. I would do the same thing if the situation was reversed. But I don't like feeling like I need help. And I especially don't like feeling dependent on others. There are so many things in my life I can't control. And now I've had to give up one more.
If you do get a call and I ask for a ride, remember that it is just as much of a sacrifice on my part to ask for help as it is on your part to drive me.

1 Comments:

Blogger LukeMiller said...

ha. you can call us anytime... you're on our way to journey anyway. learning to ask for help is a sign of great strength. it means you have learned your limitations and realized your healthy dependence on others.

9:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home