Wednesday, June 01, 2005

What I LOVE about summer:

These are listed in no particular order. But I did manage to come up with a top 10 list (because I love lists)...
1. No more work. As a teacher, I love having my summers off. But this summer it is even better because I know that I won't be going back in August.
2. Lots of traveling. This summer I am doing lots of traveling. I like to justify it by saying that I need to do it this summer because for the next two years I won't have the time or the money.
3. Lot of time. Since last August I've been complaining that I don't have any time. My complaining drastically increased in May. But that is over. I now have lots of time (except for when I'm on one of my many trips). I have time to read, to exercise, to blog, to do nothing at all.
4. A great tan. I got a jump start on my tan this year when I went to Cancun. This past weekend I was at the lake. And next week, I'll be on a cruise. I'll be very tan by the middle of June. By the end of July, my (very beautiful) pale friends won't even be sitting by me.
5. Outdoor patio time. While winter didn't deter us from the weekly Two Rows gathering, it did force us inside. But now the time has come, for us to begin taking over table on the patio once again. I just can't wait for them to bring back the light Hefeweizen beer.
6. Jazz Under the Stars. On Thursday evenings, I will be at the Downtown Museum of Art, sitting on their lawn, listening to live jazz music, while drinking wine with friends. It is one of the highlights of my summer. Last week we realized we needed a little more organization. I've since acquired a real picnic basket and coordinated our theme for this week- Greek food.
7. Warm weather. Admittedly, at times it is just plain hot. But I prefer this to cold weather any day. No need to point out that I will soon be moving to the Northeast. I am already worried about how I'll survive the cold weather up there.
8. Carefree attitude. I have very few things that actually have to be done on any given day. I woke up at 8:30 this morning, but I could have slept longer if I wanted. Last night I went to Cafe Brazil and realized it didn't matter if I got decaf coffee because I didn't need to go to sleep early. And tonight when I go to Two Rows, I won't have a responsibility to leave by 10:00 because I won't be going to teach small children in the morning.
9. Rest. For many months, I have often answered that I am exhausted when asked "How are you?". My weekend at the lake not only involved boating and drinking beer, but also lots of sleeping. For the first time since September, I actually feel rested.
10. Visiting. Being from the south, I have a strong attachment to the idea of visiting- intentionally getting together with friends. I have a lot of great memories of spending time with people last summer. Simply being together and talking. Or not talking. But just enjoying each other's company. Sometimes it was a group of people, other times just me and one friend. But for some reason, summer just seems to be a great time to form these connections.

1 Comments:

Blogger LukeMiller said...

two posts in one day? i love it. cam is back.

6:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home