Saturday, May 21, 2005

cam goes to the races

Last night I went to the horse races for the first time. Sis and her boyfriend's family gave us tickets to a private suite complete with open bar and buffet dinner. I felt very "Sex and the City" as I dressed in a skirt and heels to go to the race track. I looked good which hopefully took attention away from the fact that I had no clue when it came to horse racing. The closest thing to horse racing I've ever done is seeing the movie, "Seabiscuit".
I missed betting for Races 1 and 2. But I was ready to try my luck when it was time for Race 3. I decided to place money on the horse, Whiskey for Me. Why? Because I liked the name. Fortunately for me the odds were also good. The horse placed and I won 40 cents. Additionally there was a group pool. From that bet, I made $30. The buy-in for the group betting was $40 per couple. I have no couple. And while I was my mom's plus-one for the horse races, my dad was her couple. It is the story of my life. In the end I paid my $20 and was coupled up with a girl whose fiance wasn't in town. That's just great. At least they didn't couple me with Boyfriend's 6-year old brother. Oh well. Who cares if I'm single if by the end of the night I made $50 from the pool?
After my first win, I was ready to bet on the Race 4 horses. I chose Wild Late Nite Fun and I Will Smooch to bring me more luck. I should have known better. Neither of those brought me good fortune. In Race 5, I selected Brightest Link and Darned Fabulous. It's a good thing the guy betting for the group was making better bets than me. I continued choosing names I liked best: Wild'n Free, Zamnation and Waco Fun. While one might argue that nothing good comes from Waco, this horse did win me some money. By the time Race 9 rolled around, I had actually learned a few things about horse racing and betting. I began considering the odds as well as the jockey win% and trainer win%. Choosing 'Silver Pegasus' over 'Texas Born', I saw another win.
I didn't stay for Race 10. I was pretty tired, and the open bar served very strong drinks. But I wonder if Easy Money Girl won...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've found that betting on horses with sexual names is always a good decision. i won $220 on 'sex and sugar' one time.

but then it's just creepy that these people name their horses like this, and i feel like i'm contributing to the exploitation of innocent animal's reputations... but i always get over it pretty quickly.

1:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home