Thursday, June 16, 2005

cam confession #9

I sometimes make judgements of others based on name associations or common characteristics.
I'm sure we've all done this at one time or another. My parents did it when they were naming me after I was born. Originally they wanted to name me Stacy. Then my mom had a doctor named Dr. Stacy whom she didn't like at all. Out went the name choice Stacy. (It's too bad, then I could have been 'i am sam'. Of course, after Sean Penn's movie, that doesn't sound very original.)
So maybe this is something I inherited. There are certain names I don't like very much due to the associations I have with individuals. For example, I had a trouble-maker student named Austin who caused a lot of my stress this past year. If I ever have a son, I can guarantee I won't be naming him Austin.
I was talking with some friends last night at $1 pint night. I knew they read my blog, and so I began explaining this not-yet-posted confession to them. When I hear certain names, it triggers an emotion. It might be happiness, sadness, anger, hurt, bitterness, disappointment, jealousy, grief. (I realize most of my adjectives are negative, but I couldn't think of anymore positive ones that didn't come across as cheesy.) This is the confession part- When I feel these emotions, I sometimes project them onto the individual based simply on the name association. I have to modify my opinions and emotional reactions to the new person as I get to know them.
I worry about my own name and the associations linked when people meet me. There was a girl who named C who stole money from her job. My thought was, "She is giving us a bad name." Most likely the people who worked with C have a negative reaction when they hear my name. Luckily when they see how wonderful I am they create a new, positive association with my name.
Think about it. What names, when you hear them, trigger an emotion? Maybe they make you smile. Or perhaps you cringe. But I think most of us experience this to some degree.
And no, I'm not saying I judge people unfairly because of their name. I adjust my opinions based on the individual not the name.
Besides, I only judge people according to which beer they order...

2 Comments:

Blogger LukeMiller said...

three-fold comment:

1.) i am sam was made popular by dr. seuss, not sean peenn

2.) i hope you have only known hot, incredibly intelligent guys named suburbanjesus

3.) hope you approve of my beer choices

2:48 PM

 
Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

actually, dr. seuss coined "Sam I Am". not "I Am Sam"

i fear that since there are few cynical tyrants in the world, i'm succeeding in giving myself a bad name.

who is sean peenn?

9:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home