Friday, June 03, 2005

cam confession #8

I have based my theory on soul-mates completely on Dawson's Creek.
I've had a number of conversations around this whole idea of soul-mates. There is a common belief that you should marry your soul-mate. Here is my problem with that idea:
1. It implies that there is only one person we are supposed to marry. There is already enough risk and worry that accompanies marriage. I'd rather not add to it the anxiety that maybe the person I'm marrying isn't the one.
2. If so many people believe they are marrying their soul-mate, then why is the divorce rate so high? It seems to me that if you marry the person who best understands you and with whom you have the great, deep, spiritual connection, then you should be able to make the marriage work.
So here is my argument:
1. I think it is possible that we do have soul-mates, but perhaps not just one.
2. I don't think we necessarily have to marry our soul-mate. If we do, lucky us.
The entire theme of Dawson's Creek was that Dawson and Joey were soul-mates. So in the end, why did Joey end up with Pacey? Because they were good for each other. And because you don't have to marry your soul-mate. Another example is Jack and Jen. The show also revealed that they were soul-mates. However, Jack was gay. So Jen was never going to end up marrying her soul-mate.
If I'm going to accept this idea of soul-mates, I don't want to place limitation or boundaries. Isn't it possible our soul-mate could be the same idea as a best friend? Does our soul-mate even have to be of the opposite sex? Maybe the idea of soul-mates is much like what Anne of Green Gables called "kindred spirits". I like to think so.

3 Comments:

Blogger LukeMiller said...

if anne of green gables said it, then...

2:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bosom friends could be soul-mates....nice post

3:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was way funnier on the dart at 11pm. :) but you do have a point. i've always been frustrated/saddened by the fact that joey and dawson didn't end up together, but now i can finally rest in peace knowing that pacey was a better fit. sigh... i am so relieved.

3:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home