Sunday, November 21, 2004

"I should know who I am by now"

There was a time when music had no meaning for me. I simply listened and either liked the way it sounded or I didn't. But then I began to really listen. I began to learn more about the artists, the genres, the lyrics.
Now music has become an important aspect of my life. Many of the songs I choose to listen to have meaning in my life. They remind me of a time in my life or a person I knew. Or I play songs that help me cope with the feelings of the present.
Sometimes it seems a song or even just one line of a song can completely paralyze me. I connect to the emotion and the meaning and the emotions I feel are magnified- anger, disappointment, hope, love.
A compilation of songs can convey a powerful message. As John Cusack's character, Rob, in High Fidelity says, it is "using someone else's poetry to express how you feel."
Tonight I listened to a CD I've been wanting to buy. Before now, I've only heard one song. And it seems to be my current theme song. The entire discography seems to express my thoughts and feelings. Now I know why I was cautioned not to buy it.

The title is a song lyric from Joshua Radin's song, "Winter."



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can 1000% relate! I just was listening to this CD...and I wanted to get his words - and I ran into your entry. I hope you have happy mememories...and your life if full of love!!!

5:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home