Friday, November 05, 2004

teachercam

Being a teacher, I now face all sorts of stereotypes. People expect me to wear painted vests and denim skirts (and not the cute, fashionable short kind). One friend offered to buy me a pair of apple earrings just to get me on my way to being a true teacher. But I said I wouldn't be that kind of teacher. So far, I seem to be doing okay. Apart from last weeks crazy socks incident worn with a dress. But I was just trying to support Red Ribbon Week. Themed days that involve the opportunity to wear pajamas to school are a very good thing, however, the Ernie socks- not exactly my finest fashion moment.
But today, I did something I told myself I wouldn't do. I stayed late. Very late. It was dark and the only other person in the building was the custodian. Not only did I stay late, but I was there early. Too often teachers feel the need to work long hours. I understand that my friends in other jobs do this, but I'm pretty sure they get paid more than me. I know teachers who work long hours, then take papers home to grade. They have no life other than their work. And I don't want to be that kind of teacher. I prefer to think that teaching is simply the job I do that allows me to do what I really want to do: travel.
Realistically, I'm realizing this isn't the case. Yes, teaching allows me to travel, but teaching is no longer simply the means to meet the end. There is too much responsibility involved. I have to meet the demands of my principals, parents, but more importantly the education of my students. Additionally, I spend my time solving problems and loving them. Because I work in a school where the kids don't always get love at home. And so, unwillingly I've become a teacher who gives more than the expected minimum. Now all I need is apple earrings to wear with my school shirt. And beer. Lots of beer. To help me cope with this fate of being teachercam.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll still buy them for you too.

11:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home