Friday, November 12, 2004

am i a good teacher?

Apart from the fact that last week I found myself standing in the front of the class and suddenly panicked, "do I really want to teach the rest of my life?", I often thinking I could enjoy being teachercam. But then I wonder am I a good teacher? One of the reasons I enjoy teaching is because the kids amuse me so much. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to say I enjoy teaching because it is rewarding. And at times, that may be true. But more often than not, I like my job because the kids make me laugh. Even if I might be laughing more at them than with them.
Yesterday a student said 'damn' in my class. It took all my maturity not to laugh when another student was tattling to me. Perhaps I should have been upset or even angry at the word choice, but the student who said it was the least likely student. It was a girl who reminds me of myself at that age. She is quiet and well-mannered. She never gets in trouble. When I questioned her, she immediately started crying which left no doubt that she had in fact said 'damn.' I never did find out what caused her to break rule #3- no rude talking or gestures. It is always the quiet ones you have to watch out for...
I wasn't really mad at the situation. I found it all very amusing. My "star student" saying damn during math. In all honesty, I think I like her so much because she does remind me of me. Sometimes she can be a real smart-ass. And I love it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home