Sunday, November 28, 2004

My Bermuda Triangle

I am directionally gifted. (Though perhaps not so humble).
I can easily follow directions and navigate to my destination. There are the occasional wrong turns, but I quickly find my way again. Once I've been to a place, I can rely on memory to get there again.
While in Thailand, I was the designated navigator. Even though we had both lived there for two years, my roommate still managed to get turned around and lost. I told her never to go anywhere new without me.
On my European vacation this summer, I traveled with two different friends. I was the map reader for each friend in every city we visited. And though both may point out that at times we got lost (I was in a foreign city using a limited area map), I was always able to find our place again. Sometimes it just took longer than they might have liked. But I don't like to stop and ask for directions.
I am currently living back in the area where I grew up. I know how to get around here. Except for one loop that goes around the city. If I have to get on that loop, I will get lost.
Tonight I was faced with the loop. I never had to get on the actual loop. But I was near it. And the curse still struck. I got lost. And it wasn't exactly in the best part of town. I ended up on a service road that dead ended next to the loop. Unsure which way to go, I followed the car in front of me to the left. I followed it until the car turned into a dump, the road dead-ended, and I was facing a warehouse. Throngs of half-dressed people were headed towards the warehouse. I U-turned and drove away. Quickly.
I drove back under the cursed loop. And finally found my way. Past the liquor stores and adult video stores. Back to the highway that took me safely home.
I hate that loop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home