Saturday, May 27, 2006

shattering the white illusion

It's Fleet Week in New York. This means lots of sailors and marines have flooded the streets and bars of NYC. I've been looking forward to Fleet Week since September. I saw that episode of Sex and the City. The girls heading out and seeing groups of hot sailors pass them. They sat in the bar surrounded by hot sailors willing to buy them drinks. It all seemed so patriotic. After last night, I'm not so optimistic. I was meeting friends in midtown. As we exited the subway, I was excited to see men in white on every corner, crowded into bars. The whole scene ended up being more like a Monet. From far away, it looks great. But up close, it kind of looks messy and confusing.
Most of the sailors I saw weren't that hot at all. Yet women were pretty much throwing themselves on these men. I couldn't believe the way the women were acting. Simply because these guys were in uniform. I actually witnessed one woman let two sailors feel her up- right there on the street. It was all pretty disgusting. I'm now highly disillusioned by the whole Fleet Week thing. I thought the military was supposed to groom these guys to have honor and dignity. I certainly didn't see any of that last night.
Today I might head down to the piers to see more Fleet Week activities. It might be foolish on my part, but I'm hoping that maybe I can find a sailor or two who is actually normal. Sailors who actually respect women and aren't just looking for a favor or two.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kerri said...

no offense to those men in uniform that are actually nice, but i've always gotten a bad impression of the military and their 'character training'. i've proably just been around some bad ones, but words that come to mind right now are: abusive, loud, immature, aggressive, perverted, and alcoholic. i wish this wasn't the case, but it's just my experience.

(i really hope some military general doesn't stumble across your blog and read this!)

10:01 AM

 
Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

i don't think the military "trains" people to be that way, but i know many of them are (go rent Jarhead).

i happen to know a few military guys who are the opposite of all that. it's nice to know they are out there.

2:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home