Tuesday, October 18, 2005

hello pot, this is kettle

I love the fact that through email and cell phones I can stay connected to the people who are far away from me (and the ones who are close, too). But because communication is so easy, I am disappointed, hurt and/or frustrated when the lines seem to be broken. I don't hear from people. I know they might be busy, but I'm busy, too. Shouldn't we make time for each other if we really do care about each other? We've all been in relationships where we feel we are the ones doingall the work to maintain the connection. It starts to be tiring. We adopt the attitude, "I wrote last" or "it's not my turn to call".
I have these attitudes about a handful of people. But then I stop and wonder, how many people feel this same way about me? Yes, there are the people I've emailed who haven't responded. But who has written me, and I've failed to write back? Or worse, who have I failed to stay connected to at all? How many friends have been disappointed, hurt or frustrated because I just can't seem to give them my time?
Makes me think I should stop worrying about who is not writing me and start focusing on doing my part in maintaining my friendships with all the wonderful people who supported my decision to move far away from them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Babs said...

did i write this post?

1:08 PM

 
Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

amen.

it's so hard, though. to let go and focus on what you still have, rather than what's missing.

1:28 PM

 
Blogger linz said...

I am currently pissed off about this issue. You really can tell who your real friends are once you move away.

12:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home