Thursday, October 13, 2005

cork and bottle

Over the years, I have developed a deep appreciation for wine. I grew up witnessing an attitude that White Zinfandel is good wine. Luckily, I've learned better and so have the ones setting that precedent. I started with white wine. I drank Reisling. Looking back, it seems just a step up from White Zinfandel, but a very important step. I switched to Chardonnay, then Pinot Grigio. Eventually, most white wines seemed to sweet for me.
I'm a red wine sort of girl. I like Merlot, Cabernet, Red Zinfandel and Shiraz. I even like just table red wine. As I type this, I'm enjoying a glass of Chianti. As a result of my wine attitude, I've developed a reputation. My friends actually belive that I know something about wines and leave me in charge of buying wines for our picnics under stars or fancy dinners at fancy restaurants. The truth is I've still got a lot to learn. If it means learning by drinking, I guess I'll just have to do it. In the meantime, I'll bluff my way through and act like a wine snob who knows something about wine.
This brings me to my point. I've been resisting the change. If you don't drink wine, then you might not know that some bottles no longer have a cork, but instead a screw off top. Um, no. Wine bottles should have corks. Not a twist off lid. If I wanted to twist the top off my drink, I would drink a beer. Or a wine cooler.
It gets worse. Even if you don't like wine, you know that boxed wine has a reputation. People who drink boxed wine have a reputation. And not a good one. But could this be changing? I received an email today from a friend. It contained a link to a news article saying that according a marketing survey, more and more wine drinkers are preferring wine in a box. This was very upsetting to me. Wine? In a box? First the cork and now the bottle.
I better enjoy my bottle of wine while I still can. I think I'll take out the cork and pour myself another glass now.

1 Comments:

Blogger linz said...

It's too bad you can't come to the wine tasting class. I agree with you, that is one thing that should NEVER change.

12:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home