Sunday, October 16, 2005

cam confesion #13

I've been holding on to my Texas roots through college football.

For the first time on this blog, I've admitted that I'm from Texas. It's not that I'm ashamed, but I'm losing more of my anonymity by revealing this detail. Although I'm not sure it matters too much since the people who read my blog are usually people who know who I am.
Being a Texan in New York City, I feel I have to overcome certain sterotypes. No, I did not grow up on a farm or ride a horse to school. I try to hide any and all traces of twang or accent. And I never say ya'll. I've tried to develop a New York attitude without adopting the angry New Yorker stereotype that doesn't really exist. Apart from being called 'Tex', a nickname that I really like, I could easily be from anywhere.
Thanks to movies like Varsity Blues and Friday Night Lights, a common stereotype of Texas is that we are all crazy, obsessed football fanatics. I have to admit, it's one that even I believe. I grew up with at least one TV in the house playing a football game. After eating too much at Thanksgiving, we'd all lie around napping with the Cowboys game playing in the background. The next day we'd gather around to eat more and then watch the UT/A&M game. And of course, the week before and after New Year's was filled with bowl games.
I kind of took it all in, but never really paid attention to any of it. Until I moved here. Then I found myself adopting the UT Longhorns and trying to watch every game. I started watching ESPN GameDay. I download the scores from ESPN onto my phone. I find myself talking football to guys, and I actually sound like I know what I'm talking about. I've become the crazy, football-obsessed Texan.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Cynical Tyrant said...

i still don't know why you don't want people in new york to know you are from texas.

and now you are adopting UT even though you did not go to school there? what is wrong with you?

yeah i'm pretty sure you're never coming home. you've only been gone like, a month, and already you're being all new yorky and abandoning the texan that you once were.

go baylor.

3:54 PM

 
Blogger i am cam said...

i adopted UT because i didn't think baylor was going to actually win games this year. but i've been cheering on baylor. i'm even hoping they beat oklahoma- even though if they do, it could hurt UT making it to the Rose Bowl.

i'm more texan now than i ever was when i was in texas. being in new york, just brings out the inner new yorker i'm pretty sure always existed.

4:00 PM

 
Blogger j-lay said...

i think you're right. you are a crazy obsessed texan. i went to dc as a jr in hs, and someone seriously asked me if i road a horse to school!

2:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home